Forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

KitchM

Jul 15, 2019
What is the significance of the use of the word "Forward" in the Dashboard? I understand call forwarding, of course, but do not understand why the word is used as it is.

For instance, there is a section entitled Call Forward and Ring Group Forward.

Thanks.

phonesimon

Apr 21, 2017
Sorry, what is confusing?
  • Call Routing: See if call forward, follow me, do not disturb is set and a quick wat to edit those options if needed.
  • Ring Group Forward: See the name, extension number, if forwarding is enabled and what number it is forwarded to.
The Call Forward column in Call Routing shows whether CF is set and gives you a way to set it.

The Ring Group Forward box displays and lets you set forwarding for ring groups.

What word would you use other than the very PBX-standard word "forward'? Re-route?

KitchM

Jul 15, 2019
Oh, I see the confusion.

I tried to explain that I was wondering about the use of the word "forward" within this context. The word indicates "in one direction". Therefore, the implication is where is the inverse, and/or why isn't that mentioned?

KitchM

Jul 15, 2019
Sorry, but I see you still don't get it. Let me try this way.

I will stick my neck out here and assume that the Fusion dashboard changes its display based upon various factors. I am not privy to these supposed factors and can only see what I see on my installation. Hoowever, I have seen one or two other display arrangements which are different from mine, but the significance of the differences is lost on me. That is because I have not yet found a discussion of the way that the dashboard works which would include all the possible items it might include.

Does that make any sense at all? Or am I still not being clear.

KitchM

Jul 15, 2019
Yes, but I'm more interested in what is done automatically without the user's intervention.

You see, the dashboard shows information but one does not know why it does what it does. Do you see where I'm going with this. Does that make sense?

phonesimon

Apr 21, 2017
what is done automatically without the user's intervention.
What does this mean? Do you mean the default dashboard layouts?
one does not know why it does what it does
After you have gone through and set up some components of the system I think the dashboard becomes more obvious. Maybe spend some more time setting up a lab configuration and see if it makes more sense to you then.

KitchM

Jul 15, 2019
Yes, I partially mean the default layout. But also, I mean the other possible options, whatever they might be.

Look at it this way. I hear a female voice on my telephone when testing the system. I did not know if the recorded voice was from my Yealink phone, the FusionPBX, the FS server, my provider, or some other source between me and the called number. To figure out the meaning of the message requires finding out where it came from. By contacting Yealink, I was finally able to determine that it did not come from their devices. It is always a process of elimination when doing diagnostics.

The same applies to understanding the first part of Fusion, which is the dashboard.

Why does it use the word Forward. Why does it use the word Extension. If these are not defined, they are meaningless.

To address your last comment, the problem of GUI design is that the user is forced to assume certain things even when they should not have to. In this case, my display shows only particular information. However, it does not explain why. Therefore, the user must gather information based upon the words used. If that information is not available, exactly how would the user figure anything out?

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
@KitchM Sorry but I think you are way, way out of your depth. I'd suggest you give up entirely on FusionPBX and take a look at something like 3CX instead. It has a very pretty interface that is much more intuitive than FusionPBX and there is absolute masses of documentation.

KitchM

Jul 15, 2019
So you mean that a person cannot find an expert on FusionPBX who is able to answer questions? I am beginning to realize that sad case. The old basic saying certainly appears to apply; if you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.

phonesimon

Apr 21, 2017
I guess this is where you burn your bridge using insults because the volunteer community didn't do enough to assist you out of their own good will. I think you have some things to learn about how user forums work. Have you ever been on one before? We tried to guide you a bit; sorry it didn't work out.

Reactions: mat1010

Scuzz

Feb 7, 2019
So you mean that a person cannot find an expert on FusionPBX who is able to answer questions? I am beginning to realize that sad case. The old basic saying certainly appears to apply; if you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.

@KitchM Don't get caught up in all the drama with these pretenders. If you want to really master freeswitch or fusionpbx its actually really easy if you do what i do.
I just try and visualize everything as a series of pipes connected from here to there and from there to here. If that doesn't make sense to you, try and think of it as an old operator switchboard where the operator pulled a cable and plugged it in somewhere else to complete a connection.
Mastering the above two methods should lead you on your way to greatness.

Status
Not open for further replies.