Help Needed - Outbound Faxing with SPA112 ATA

Status
Not open for further replies.

aschear1

Jan 21, 2019
I recently hooked up a Brother Intellifax 4100e to a Cisco SPA112 ATA

I am using Flowroute as my provider

I can send Faxes reliably to other FusionPBX instances, but not to other analog machines. The only change I made on the Fusion side was enabling bypass media before I got that to work.

I also configured the ATA to these specs but that did not work:
http://support.t38fax.com/support/solutions/articles/19000010941-cisco-spa112-2-port-phone-adapter

If i watch the calls in sngrep they appear to succeed with no issues, as if it was a normal voice call.

Any help that can be offered would be really appreciated...

ZPM

Nov 15, 2017
I use the same ATAs "Cisco SPA112" for multiple deployments using Flowroute without issue. I have had maybe two times where I had an issue with the underlying carrier where T38 was not working correctly. Flowroute support was real easy to work with they just moved the DID to another facility and all worked again. They will work with you for testing the DID and even ask for timestamp of the call to monitor and test for you. I use the default settings for T38 fax in "Default Settings" page.

Reactions: falk

ZPM

Nov 15, 2017
ITSP Flowroute supports T38 on the DID then add to FusionPBX pointing the DID to the SPA112 extension then traditional fax connects to the SPA112 ATA

ZPM

Nov 15, 2017
To what? A typical analog fax machine will not use t.38?

Thats what an ATA is for to convert analog to SIP and the ATA supports T38 for faxes, Your SIP trunk has to support T38 Fax as well. This is all you need.

brb5548

Sep 26, 2018
That works fine only if you have another fax machine behind the same as instance or another ata that is using t.38 and they are connected via a tie trunk that supports t.38.

The typical scenario is that you have g711 on a guaranteed network (or an analog/price physical connection) that is routed to a t38 gateway that speaks to your ata. This protects the leg of the call that you typically cannot control.

ZPM

Nov 15, 2017
are you referring to the ITSP? Because many ITSPs support T.38 can use them as a "fax gateway"

ITSP-->FusionPBX-->analog telephone adapter (ATA)-->Traditional Fax

For us we use Flowroute which we have always been able to send and receive to other customers.....

Last edited:

brb5548

Sep 26, 2018
Internet telephony service provider could provide a fax gateway but that is not what I was referring to.
I would also note flowroute does allow t38 pass through but does not provide a t38 gateway. I actually tested and spoke to them about this in detail.

ZPM

Nov 15, 2017
I recently hooked up a Brother Intellifax 4100e to a Cisco SPA112 ATA

I am using Flowroute as my provider

I can send Faxes reliably to other FusionPBX instances, but not to other analog machines. The only change I made on the Fusion side was enabling bypass media before I got that to work.

I also configured the ATA to these specs but that did not work:
http://support.t38fax.com/support/solutions/articles/19000010941-cisco-spa112-2-port-phone-adapter

If i watch the calls in sngrep they appear to succeed with no issues, as if it was a normal voice call.

Any help that can be offered would be really appreciated...
This does work just make sure under Fusionpbx the fax extension under advanced SIP bypass media is set for Proxy and on the SPA112 Fax enable T38 is set to yes which I am sure you already have done.

aschear1

Jan 21, 2019
Yup, this is working now in the configuration described (Proxy media to flowroute)

Thanks everyone for chiming in

brb5548

Sep 26, 2018
I never had any success with t.38 negotiation on flowroute (unless I managed the far end with an endpoint that supported t.38) and I spent quite a bit of time with their support but it looks like I stand corrected. I will test again here shortly as I still have a few numbers on flowroute.

Do note that when not using flowroute or a provider that does not support t38 termination, freeswitch can be configured as the t38 gateway to provide reliability between freeswitch and the analog fax machine (which is typically where failures/latency/loss occur).

Status
Not open for further replies.