Homer setup for monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrjoli021

Jul 20, 2017
I am having a random call drop issues on fusionpbx. I cant seem to pinpoint what is triggering the calls to drop and cant reproduce it. I am looking at installing Homer or some other tool to monitor the calls. That way once it happens again I can search for that particular call and analyze it. First off is Homer the best tool for this, or is there something else I can use. If Homer works for this, then is there an install procedure I can use to set this up? I have looked and found that at one point there was a video on this forum, but that video is no longer available.

thanks,

hfoster

Jan 28, 2019
You could do, but it's a rather large task for a single box. It's more designed for an ITSP monitoring their entire customer base.

You can leave sngrep rolling for some time and just wait until a failed call happens and see what the SIP messaging says.

You could also do Wireshark rolling captures, and then when someone experiences a drop just grab that capture and trim down the call in question.

However most dropped calls I am personally able to just read the FreeSWITCH log for that uuid and see what happened.

mrjoli021

Jul 20, 2017
Hello,

I think I am going to stick to Homer. I know it will be an overkill for this, but could use it for other stuff later on. I am Homer on a separate box. I have installed the agent on the fusionpbx server. How do I point the FusionPBX server to the Homer server? I guess I am missing this piece. I have not been able to find any instructions on this. Could someone point me in the right direction?
thanks,

hfoster

Jan 28, 2019

Edit to enable capturing globally, /etc/freeswitch/autoload_configs/sofia.conf.xml

Then in the FusionPBX interface, you'll need to add the param sip-capture and value 'yes' to each profile you wish to export. You'll probably just want to restart freeswitch after configuring this.

Scubadave112

Jan 24, 2020
Not going to lie I just spent 4 hours on this... everytime I configured anything i would go back to fs_cli and run sofia global capture status and it would say off and then i would turn it on manually in fs_cli and instantly off. I manually edited the sofia conf, nothing and edited the lua file in usr/share and nothing no matter what

Well egg on my face it actually is super easy to do this.... after your fresh install of homer (i tossed it into a digital ocean docker), simply go to fusion then go to Advanced > Sip Profiles and instead of adding the stupid settings to each profile Don't. on the top right hand corner click </>Settings and then add it there, and restart freeswitch

Lol so annoying how that caused me so many wasted hours... I will create a ticket with mark tonight and have him update his member doc to have a screenshot.

Scubadave112

Jan 24, 2020
OMG this thing is so annoying... I left the office and posted this and all was working... put the kids to sleep came downstairs to work on this some more and nothing...

So I kept the setting i mentioned in my previous post and then

also added them to each profile and restarted freeswitch nothing, i kept everything the way it was and then added it to the sofia.conf.xml and it worked for exactly 5 minutes and then stopped all on its own.

hfoster

Jan 28, 2019
Wow, I had never noticed that area before! You learn something new everyday. Do the log files tell a story as to why it's reverting? Is FreeSWITCH or sofia panicking about it?

Scubadave112

Jan 24, 2020
Wow, I had never noticed that area before! You learn something new everyday. Do the log files tell a story as to why it's reverting? Is FreeSWITCH or sofia panicking about it?
I’ll be honest I give up lol. I’m a fusion purple member and I talk to mark and his gang at least once a week. Right now I want all his attention on sms lol but I’ll bring it up with him. I use yealink device manager which does a great job of catching RTP issues, twilio also stores pcap and has useful insights and I only have one customer with audio issues at the moment and I can just tcp dump into wire shark running on another server if I need to do a long capture but this is far from 911 for me at the moment just annoying how it seems to work but only for a couple min. I even did a clean install of fusion on a digital ocean machine and exact same results so I’m sure something is crashing it and in to tired to keep looking into it.

hfoster

Jan 28, 2019
Fair enough, I might have a look at it myself. Could be useful if we ever replace our monitoring.

Scubadave112

Jan 24, 2020
Fair enough, I might have a look at it myself. Could be useful if we ever replace our monitoring.
Ok so I gave up and spoke with Mark and he doesn't lean towards homer and I don't blame him because as cool as homer is it requires so much work to build out really useful panel and dashboards and get everything working right. That isn't an excuse to not identify the sip-capture issue but I have much bigger fish to fry and Mark recomended voipmonitor and I just loaded it onto a couple server now and i gotta say this thing is built and tuned for what we do. It is a monster of a tool and adds no strain to freeswitch unlike sip-capture. I know there is a cost but honestly 75/month for 35 channels is reasonable for anyone using that many channels and also u can install on as many server as you want (Just modify the sensor ID). Their website is super sketch which is why i avoided in first place but gotta say it is pretty cool tool and will let you know more after a week of using it.

ict2842

Mar 2, 2021
Wichita, KS
You could use heplify agent (https://github.com/sipcapture/heplify.git) to send packets from FusionPBX to Homer without any configuration on FusionPBX. I am using it for a long time now without any problems.
Am I understanding this correctly?
Heplify is installed on each FusionPBX node. Homer is installed on its own VM. "FusionPBX" sends all the call details to Homer automatically and Homer allows me to see any call at anytime? I don't necessarily need to deploy it today, but I think it would be great for future troubleshooting!

Reactions: pksml
Status
Not open for further replies.