How are you running residential voip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimGuyUK

Feb 28, 2018
I have a multi tenant/domain business customer fusionpbx which Im happy with. Each domain has its own trunk which makes it easier to do the billing through the SIP provider.

Im being ask to provide residential voip from ourresidential fttp broadband customers. How would you do it?

I was thinking of setting up a residential domain and creating indivdual customers with their uk local number as their exstention and then running all the customers through the same trunk, adding channels as required, are you running residential under the same domain or are you creating a seperate domain for each customer?

This would require TollAllow and seperate inbound and outbound routes. Is there a maximum thats allowed per domain?

One downside I can see with doing this is that the SIP provider holds the emergency services information and of course the residential could be anywhere in the country. How is everyone getting around that?

Tim

Last edited:

Adrian Fretwell

Aug 13, 2017
Tim,
We ave a few residential customers, and I think the numbers will grow as analogue in the UK is withdrawn.

Currently I put them each in a domain of their own and I give each it's own SIP trunk (we are our own SIP trunk provider, so maintain the 999 database directly). I prefer to let my SIP platform take care of call metering, I know it is accurate. I have had residential customers start off with one phone and then quickly realise how easy it is to have a few more around the house, we have a few customers who now have extensions installed at their elderly parents houses.

We also have a few customers who are a group of companies, depending on requirements, we will put them into one single domain but give them each their own SIP trunk, and, as you suggest, use Toll Allow to route outbound calls via the correct SIP trunk. I don't believe there is a limit on routes per domain - other than how difficult it becomes to manage them.

If you want to chat off-line PM me.

TimGuyUK

Feb 28, 2018
Thanks for your advice Adrian

Im really at a 2'n'8 about this. trunks per domains is how I currently run my business customers. Im conscious that each residential customer is going to have the trunk cost if I do that but then getting into channel per customer (customer per channel?) ratios is something i never thought Id have to be considering.

Tim

hfoster

Jan 28, 2019
I've been umming and ahhing about this one too. I definitely feel that individual SIP trunks are the way to go personally, simply because we don't have to modify our billing systems to charge via the CDRs.

Part of me is thinking, I should just knock up a FreeSwitch barebones offering and go from there. Whilst FusionPBX is going to be useful, I think I'm just going to end up disabling all the functionality in the end.

I don't know if I've just been googling the wrong thing, but it doesn't seem like there's an off the shelf product ready for this kind of use-case where every extension is jailed off from each other. FusionPBX does the job by just creating a domain for each, but it seems like a work around.

TimGuyUK

Feb 28, 2018
Im wondering what would be the downside of same domain. I keep thinking that same domain with shared trunk (ratio'ed number of users per channel) would be an idea. Im not wanting to make a killing on the rental, I know hardly anyone uses their land line anymore, its an added service on top of the FTTP.

Its a "Hey, youve had your phone number for 30 years, you want fttp, lets secure your phone number and give you a chance to rescive calls from it still for those people that still know it"

I thought (havent tried) that their extention numbers would be their land line number, none would know that other numbers exisited with the phone book taken away. They get the voice mail and I can handle the CLis going out on the shared trunk.

What am I missing thats obvious that makes you guys think per domain is a better way?

Tim

Adrian Fretwell

Aug 13, 2017
I think per domain is easier to manage, and it allow a domestic customer to expand a little beyond a single phone line. I have a few that have a Yealink phone and an analogue ATA to still provide copper for an intruder alarm.

If you did not want the complexity of FusionPBX you could do it with just a SIP proxy like OpenSIPS, we ran like that for years before we started using Fusion. If you are in the UK you will probably know what I mean if say Centrex, we used OpenSIPS to provide a simple Centrex solution for a few customers and even did call recording using an RTP Proxy.

Status
Not open for further replies.