SOLVED How to Avoid Transcoding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2021
I have a multi tenant setup. The Global preferred codec list is set to PCMA,Opus.

Tenant 1 and 2 have inbound_codec_negotiation set to generous (I also tried scrooge)
inbound_late_negotiation enabled
media_mix_inbound_outbound_codecs is set to false in variables

In the dialplan if I transfer call from tenant 1 to 2 and vice versa- I set the field inherit_codec to true

Under both the tenants, I have a mix of sip clients some only support PCMA codec. Some support Opus & PCMA.

Now with in tenant 1 or tenant 2 - when I make a call to clients with in the same tenant, the codec is chosen based on the callee's choice (as intended)

However when I call from a sip client in tenant 1 whose first codec choice is Opus to a Sip client in tenant 2 whose first codec choice is also Opus the following happens

A leg immediately chooses PCMA and B leg choose Opus and there is transcoding.

The reverse call from tenant 2 to 1 also exhibits the same behaviour.

How do I set this right, I thought I cracked this but there appears to be a regression.

Edit: This appears to be a freeswitch issue - when you have ringback and transfer_ringback enabled Advanced->Variables, it appears that inherit_codec=true doesn't work. When both of them are disabled, everything appears to work

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.