How to edit provisioning templates in a safe way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel

Oct 30, 2018
Hi All,

I have the impression that at least the yealink templates are inconsistent and incomplete.
For example, {$yealink_dhcp_time} is referenced once for the model t31g/y000000000123.cfg and once for the device t58a/{$mac}.cfg. Many other parameters are listed but empty.

I have no problem with adapting these templates once, I tried that too, but then the next update stopped because it didn't want to overwrite my changed templates, which I thought was nice.

Is there a sensible way to adapt the templates and still install updates?

Daniel

ad5ou

Jun 12, 2018
You can submit changes in a pull request on GitHub if you are up for it.
Or
You can copy the model directory to a custom name for any templates you want to change just for your use. Such as:
.../yealink/t58v
.../yealink/t58v-custom
Upgrades will then update the default folder, but will leave your custom folder in tact.

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
I think that gonna mess you up on a git pull, I'm sure I recall Mark saying you can put them in the /etc/fusionpbx directory.

mingus

Mar 23, 2018
If you are just customizing provisioning files for your own use, just make a new folder with a new name using the same path as the provisioning file you want to use as a template.

cd _yourfusionpbxpath_/resources/templates/provision
cp -rp yealink/t58v yealink/t58v-custom.

Log back into FusionPBX, edit your custom template as you see fit, update a device to use the custom template, test, and enjoy a cocktail. As long as you don't edit the original provisioning template or change anyone else's template in their device settings, you should be "safe".

Once you determine that your custom template is the way to go, you can set other devices to the new template at your convenience.

ad5ou

Jun 12, 2018
I think that gonna mess you up on a git pull, I'm sure I recall Mark saying you can put them in the /etc/fusionpbx directory.
I have found using /etc/fusionpbx is only needed if you want to keep the same model folder name.
Extra files/folders do not conflict with normal upgrades. Been doing so for several years

Daniel

Oct 30, 2018
Thank you for your proposed solutions. Since I am not a software developer and am not very familiar with git and so on, I will try the custom directories.

Status
Not open for further replies.