Importing users

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scubadave112

Jan 24, 2020
so i see how easy it is to import users but there is a table for user settings which has the time zone and a table for user groups for the groups and then there is the user table (v_users)

I need to create 165 users. associate each user with its extension as well as there device to properly set this up.

This customer will be running a big call center as well as using hot desking on ever phone so I want everything setup properly but in order to set the timezone and permission i need to go into all 165 users and set this manually? and then to associate the user to an extension i have to manually do this as well for each extension and then to do this for devices I have to manually do this as well for every single virtual device i created?

This seem nuts...

for extension 1001 it will be assigned to user "User 1001" and that user will also be assigned to virtual device with mac of 000000ff1001 and i followed this pattern for everything. so I am trying to think of a script or something i can do to handle this for me but I am thinking it may just be faster to shut up and suck it up and manually do all this grinding....

any suggestions?

whut

Dec 23, 2022
face-vomiting_1f92e.pngmanual work...

You can nearly get all of it done by using the various imports. It is a good idea to plan the order of imports. Upload users, extensions, then devices. Both extensions and devices import can include username data for the users that you hopefully imported before the extensions & devices so they are correctly linked. Remember to import vmail after extensions if the users will have vmail boxes.

Scubadave112

Jan 24, 2020
View attachment 3378manual work...

You can nearly get all of it done by using the various imports. It is a good idea to plan the order of imports. Upload users, extensions, then devices. Both extensions and devices import can include username data for the users that you hopefully imported before the extensions & devices so they are correctly linked. Remember to import vmail after extensions if the users will have vmail boxes.
no disrespect but i believe your making an assumption, but if I am wrong please free to elaborate further....

importing users only allows you to import fields in the v_users table....

1683300253895.png

nowhere is it linked to an extension, device or permision (group).... the permisions part is the most annoying part cause it is its own table (V_User_Groups).... im sure there is a reason it is built this way but no matter what when you import you can't assign permisions without manual work, script or tool like dbeaver and generate your own uuids as match all that crap up.... i really wish groups would be included on the users table.

but lets pretend users table included groups it also has a seperate table for settings (language, timezone and others).... im creating 165 users and they are spread accross two timezones so that is another thing that has to be done for every extension.... but i could just use dbeaver for this very easily in my case but still a little annoying

but now lets say settings, groups and users were on one table....you can't import extensions and link to user.... Extension use a seperate table (v_extension_user).... and I don't recall if devices include user uuid in its table... i believe it conatined device user fields and the linked user account uuid is set in the v_device_settings table but don't quote me on that... im on a plane right now and don't feel like verifying as it is pretty moot at this point....

so yeah... u can create the users, extension and devices which is helpful because they want hot desking for everyphone/extension so i had to setup 165*2 devices but yeah..... without dbeaver and paying my neighbor $50 this would have sucked.... took her 3 hours to do it all %100

now if you know something that could make this a lot easier in future that would be awesome because i got another coming up they want the same setup (only 75 this time)....

mark used to have the feature when creating extension to also create user account and that would have been awesome... and if it was setup so that when creating bulk extension it will auto create linked user accounts..... but it is just odd to me that extensions, devices and users have to be the 3 most comonly performed tasks people would love to import in bulk and then link together.... ill ask mark about i Monday.... maybe i am doing something wrong...

whut

Dec 23, 2022
@Scubadave112 you are correct on many points. But, you can include fields such as the group (permissions group name) in your user import. Highlighted below.

1683305849369.png

When you submit this, on the next page you can see in the drop downs the available tables and fields. We see group name included, but not the timezone from the user settings table. It would be very useful for it to include timezone from the user_settings table and extension_user for your use. It is worth a talk with mark to ask for the development.

1683306101129.png

the devices import includes capability for inserting into 5 device related tables including username (from v_user.username, connecting the user to a device) Extensions import also includes username (from v_user.username, connecting the user to an extension)

you can set a device timezone setting through imports but not user timezone.

Reactions: Scubadave112

Scubadave112

Jan 24, 2020
@Scubadave112 you are correct on many points. But, you can include fields such as the group (permissions group name) in your user import. Highlighted below.

View attachment 3395

When you submit this, on the next page you can see in the drop downs the available tables and fields. We see group name included, but not the timezone from the user settings table. It would be very useful for it to include timezone from the user_settings table and extension_user for your use. It is worth a talk with mark to ask for the development.

View attachment 3396

the devices import includes capability for inserting into 5 device related tables including username (from v_user.username, connecting the user to a device) Extensions import also includes username (from v_user.username, connecting the user to an extension)

you can set a device timezone setting through imports but not user timezone.
wowww i had no idea about this.... it would have been super helpful..... i was always under the impression that imports only import into one table.... infact i was told if I ever wanted to what field are importable to just run an update schema and it will show me all the tables as well as the collumns and i was told if i was importing users too look a v_users and thats the importable fields available... i guess im part to blame because in all the years i never once clicked that dropped down to explore it, LoL this could have save me a lot of time over the years lol....

Thanks so much for shariing

whut

Dec 23, 2022
:cool:
The imports functionality has increased a few times over the last few years. scubadave is now a user on my test server with extension and device. lols

Status
Not open for further replies.