Inbound calls stop working at random

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 30, 2018
Hi, every once in a while, usually somewhere between once every 2 weeks to once a month, my inbound calls will just randomly stop working (for all domains on server). Outbound still works without problem. Anyone calling in gets either a busy or number not available. When it happens, just rebooting my FusionPBX server immediately fixes the issue. So when it happens I usually just do a reboot and don't really have time to troubleshoot it because things are down and I know the reboot fixes it. Has anyone else had similar issues, or what would be my first steps to take in troubleshooting where the issue might be?

Thanks for any help.

ad5ou

Jun 12, 2018
Here are a few things to consider.
Are extensions able to call each other when this happens?
Do you have different carriers for inbound vs outbound?
Does the inbound carrier require registration?
Are the IP addresses of your inbound carrier in the fail2ban ignore list?
If not, do you see those IP's getting banned? I've seen a carrier get banned when a rarely called DID isn't programmed properly.

Hard to guess much more without more info on version, install location (cloud/local), etc.

Reactions: Adrian Fretwell
Jan 30, 2018
@ad5ou and @Adrian Fretwell Thanks for the input, so does a reboot clear the fail2ban? Do the logs keep track of that after a reboot as well or do I have to catch it in the act? I thought I had the provider IP addresses in the allow but I will double check on that. I did configure another number with a different provider that I was intending to try when it happened, but I forgot about it when it happened this morning and rebooted before trying the test number with the other provider haha. I will double check on the ban and if I can't find anything I will provide some more info on the server setup. It is a cloud hosted with vultr with failover server configured.

Adrian Fretwell

Aug 13, 2017
The iptables rules that fail2ban inserts are lost on a reboot but you should still have the fail2ban log files at:
/var/log/fail2ban.log

You should have a few fail2ban logs archived by logrotated for example:
/var/log/fail2ban.log.1
/var/log/fail2ban.log.2.gz
/var/log/fail2ban.log.3.gz
etc...

Jan 30, 2018
OK, slight update. I have not had a chance to check the logs yet, just been to busy. I did have the issue again yesterday and I tried the other provider and they worked fine still. I am going to be migrating to the other provider anyway so I do not have a huge urgency on figuring out the issue with this provider on my server. I do have all the proper IPs allowed. So maybe I do have a misconfiguration on a lightly used number somewhere. What type of misconfiguration might cause a block? Would it be more of an internal to FusionPBX or would it be how I am sending it from the provider? Just wondering where to start looking when I am able to start.

Thanks

Jan 30, 2018
@Adrian Fretwell Thanks for the info, that helps a lot, that is likely what is happening. I do have a set of temp numbers, for testing and call forwards and things, it is very likely one is set to go to a domain but not actually set as an inbound route. Would it still block the IP in that case even if it is on the allow list?

ad5ou

Jun 12, 2018
If the carrier is has all IP’s in fail2ban ignore then it won’t get banned.
You can also disable the “not-found” global dial plan to avoid bans but is less secure than adding carrier IP’s

Reactions: markjcrane

markjcrane

Staff member
Jul 22, 2018
Add the provider IP addresses in the following file under ignorep=
/etc/fail2ban/jail.conf

Status
Not open for further replies.