Monitor audio quality on Yealink phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradgarrison

Feb 20, 2023
The last few days I have been troubleshooting some quality issues. While doing this I found a tool that has been very helpful and wanted to share it with the group.

It is easy to monitor the audio quality on a Yealink phone, and it can be done remotely. I was able to watch in real-time as a user was on a call.

Yealink Settings - RTP Status.pngYealink Settings - Voice Monitoring.png

Directions
  • Log into the Yealink phone from the administrative portal. You can get the IP address by pressing the ok button on the phone. The default user/pass is admin/admin until it is changed.
  • Go to the Settings tab
  • Click on the Voice monitoring tab on the left
  • Change the following settings:
  • VQ RTCP-XR Session Report = Enabled
  • VQ RTCP-XR Interval Report = Enabled
  • Period for Interval Report = 5
  • Display Report Options on Web = Enabled
  • Voice RTCP-XR Report = Enabled
  • Add the options you want to the Enabled column
  • Click Confirm
  • Make a call using this phone.
  • On the top menu, go to Status
  • Click on the RTP Status tab on the left
Now you can view the stats of the last call. The stats will also update every 5 seconds during the call. This value is set above in the "Period for Interval Report" settings. The value range is 5-20.

Start TimeThe exact start time of the callEnd TimeThe exact end time of the call
Local userSIP account used for the callRemote userInternal number user
Local IPthe local IP address of the SIP phoneRemote IPThe IP address from Kwebbl used for the call
Local portlocal port used for the callRemote portRemote port used for the call
Local CODECLocal CODEC used for the callRemote CODECCODEC used from Kwebbl
Jitterindicating variations in packet arrival timeJitterBufferMaxindicating variations in packet arrival time
Packet lossThe amount of packets lost during the callNetworkPacketLossRateThe amount of packets lost during the call
MOS-LQQuality score Listener MOS-CQQuality score conversation

Extra information:

Packet Loss - If Packets are lost during a call, the user will hear an audio drop or 'glitch'. In most scenarios, the packets are lost in the local network or internet connection from the customer.

MOS - Mean Opinion Score - is a measure used to give a call a score. The MOS is expressed as a single rational number, typically in the range 1–5, where 1 is the lowest perceived quality, and 5 is the highest perceived quality. VoIP calls often are in the 3.5 to 4.2 MOS range. The following chart can be used as a guide for VoIP MOS testing and a good comparison for voice quality.

4.3 - 5.0Very satisfied
4.0 - 4.3Satisfied
3.6 - 4.0Some users are satisfied
3.1 - 3.6Many users dissatisfied
2.6 - 3.1Nearly all users are dissatisfied
1.0 - 2.6All users are dissatisfied

bradgarrison

Feb 20, 2023
@whut I didn't even know the CDR page had that detail. Now that I'm looking at it, the numbers are close but the Yealink page might have slightly lower numbers. When I say lower, I'm talking like 4.3 vs 4.5.

mcs3ss2

Sep 8, 2020
AU
Awesom guide, I did not know that was even possible within the phone. I had always been using CDR for call quality checks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.