Multicast Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Birch

Mar 16, 2017
Hey All,

I have a school as a client, and their old paging system has bit the dust.

I tried just using paging by extension, but run into an issue with the number of extensions, so I am thinking better way is to use Multicast paging.

I have some questions on if I can set it up as they want.

We have a mixture of Grandstream GXP2135 and GXP1625 phones. They want every phone to be able to page, so it needs to be passcode protected.
Is this possible?
Also, do I need to create a multicast paging button on the phones to be able to page? We would have 3 zones for paging. Can I do Multicast paging by calling an extension instead?

Everything I could find on this, leads me to think I can't do it the way I want, but thought I would check with people here.
Should say I am running Fusion 4.5.24.

Thanks,

ad5ou

Jun 12, 2018
You didn't specify where the fusionpbx server is located so the answers might be a little different depending on the environment.
The ultimate answer is YES it can be made to work.

If the server is on the same local network, Fusionpbx can easily be configured to multicast paging. If it isn't, you would need tunneling/forwarding for the network or use a SIP to multicast paging gateway... Since our fusionpbx servers are hosted in the cloud, we typically use a gateway device for paging.

Since you have Grandstream phones you might be interested in the Grandstream documentation for doing multicast paging.

For creating various "zones" you tell the phones to listen on whichever multicast address/port. Grandstream phones can listen on up to 10 "zone" assignments.

Robert Birch

Mar 16, 2017
Hey ad5ou,
The server is in the cloud. I know I can set up the zones etc, bigger issues are can I passcode protect it (don't want students picking up an extension and paging the whole school) and if I need to then have 3 buttons on each phone to be able to page the 3 different zones.

Thanks

ad5ou

Jun 12, 2018
Direct multicast paging via the Grandstream features won't offer any type of pass code option.
Given the setup, I would use a gateway device to handle the transition. This would allow the paging features of fusionpbx to help secure things.
On the fusion side, it would look like a single or maybe a few sip devices in a page group.

My go to device is a SNOM PA-1 but there might be better options that have multiple sip to multicast options.

Robert Birch

Mar 16, 2017
I do have a SNOM PA1 and was looking at it. It seems that it does do multicast relay, but I don't think it works as I expected.
My thought was I could call the extension and it would relay the multicast?? I set up a phone to listen for multicast on 239.255.255.245:16911
I set the extension on the PA1 to multicast relay to the same. When I call the snom (with auto-answer on), I don't get the audio through the phone.

Thinking I must have something configured wrong.

Thanks

Robert Birch

Mar 16, 2017
OK. Managed to figure it. I did have something configured wrong.
I have the Snom PA1 autoanswering the call/page and relaying multicast to a phone.
Only issue I have now is I get major feedback from the phone.
If I multicast from another phone, I don't get feedback, so it has to be something with the Snom device.
If anyone has any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Robert Birch

Mar 16, 2017
Actually.... Not a problem with the Snom. It was from the device I was testing with.

Looks like it does work as expected.

Thanks for the help ad5ou and pushing me in the right direction. Really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.