Network Quality Test Tool for Troubshooting or Pre-Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

tag915

Sep 24, 2018
Anyone using any type of pre or post network analysis tools for checking and troubleshooting voice quality? I know companies like RingCentral and 8x8 have a tool (agent) they can install on your network to collect data, test and identify potential issues. I also know there are some high end tools for this but I wanted to see if anyone has a tool set recommendation or found an easy to use solution. Of course OpenSource would be great but I'm looking for any affordable solution. Preferably something even a junior tech could use and review.

bcmike

Jun 7, 2018
Ping plotter against an endpoint over time will give you everything you need to know in 90% of situations. Run it with small samples, and UDP packet sizes that match RTP (or whatever your use case is). Run it for for as long as you can but for a minimum of 24 hrs. If you want to run VoIP on a given network you're looking for trends not bursts. Any tool that only gives you a small snapshot is almost useless for evaluating network quality.

If you're looking for a specific issue (why doesn't a talk to b) Wireshark hooked up to a big disk is all you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.