Only one UDP endpoint works per location

Status
Not open for further replies.

marco114

Jun 23, 2019
Winston Salem, NC
www.falconinternet.net
I have FusionPBX at my data center and 5 VoIP phones at a remote site. When I connect via UDP it works fine for the first phone, then additional phones fail to register. If I change it to TCP, it works for all phones. Is there some setting I need to enable somewhere to handle multiple UDP connections?

This happens at a variety of locations and different routers. The common factor seems to be FusionPBX.

Thanks

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
Its nothing to do with FusionPBX I can assure you.

More to the point, why do you want to switch to UDP, just leave them TCP.

Reactions: JamesBorne

Andrew Byrd

Feb 16, 2018
I was forced to use UDP. When I tried using TCP my call parking lot BLF lights stayed green. Only after I switched to UDP did the lights start to function properly. Red for parked. Green for open, etc....

Not sure why that made a difference but it did. I tried for 2 days to get it to work with TCP but it just wouldn't happen.

My two cents is that UDP uses less system resources and is proven and has been more reliable in my applications and environment.

I am sure TCP has its place but I have found UDP to be the better performer over all.

I truly would rather use TCP if possible due to Natting reasons, but it just did not work out for me

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
Lets not be knocking the protocol now because of your inability to debug it. TCP works just fine for hundreds of us, all day every day. What are you gonna do when your clients ask for TLS encryption, tell them sorry, it doesn''t work for me?

Reactions: Adrian Fretwell

Andrew Byrd

Feb 16, 2018
There was never a knock. I just said it can't work for me at this moment. I'm even willing to lay blame on myself for the inability to debug it. I agree TCP has more upside than downs and probably is better in the long run then UDP. I will continue in a non production server environment to figure out what happened and why it can't work for me. Until then I have to stick with what I know is working which is UDP. But there was never a knock.

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
What I'm saying really is don't give up on it. Learn why it won't work because as soon as you have a client wanting encryption, you will need it. TLS is required more and more these days and we all should think to be moving to it as standard. TLS is just TCP+encryption.

There are many other pluses too, like UDP is gonna be sure to break with a bigger list of codecs. I just cannot use Opus with my carrier on UDP because of the packet sizes. simply adding opus to the code list adds another 239 bytes to the SIP packet.

Status
Not open for further replies.