SOLVED Packet loss on B leg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2021
I have 2 extensions connected to fusion PBX, no external gateway involved - both the sip clients are Zoiper clients from Android device.

When mobile A calls mobile B - there is 0% received packet loss at mobile A, however at mobile B the loss as per zoiper is 300%,I can see that the received bit rate is half that of the sent during a call. Packet loss is affecting the audio as well.

When mobile B calls mobile A, the situation reverses, there is 0% packet loss at B and heavy loss at A, similarly the received bit rate is around half that of the actual sent bit rate.

Sent bit rate is 83K

This behavior is consistent, I am NOT using media by pass.

There are no other calls on the freeswitch. How do I debug or is there some setting that I am missing.

Jul 15, 2021
RTP ports are open,even though zoiper says packet loss is 300% I don't know based on what metrics, I can hear audio, the bit rate gets reduced to half and I can feel the packet loss in the ears (with crackling sounds) (both sides use PCMA ). This was not like this earlier, I am on the same LAN with TCP (I changed to UDP but no difference) as means of transport. I have enabled OPTIONS message to be sent, I am not sure whether it is causing this.

I have attached the CDR details which lists the full configuration and error information, unfortunately, I couldn't maintain the format when I converted it to PDF,

Adrian Fretwell

Aug 13, 2017
I don't understand how packet loss can be 300% - 100% would be all of your packets. Maybe something is being incorrectly reported. Can you try different devices preferably not softphones?

If you do suspect packet loss, try diagnosing your network at a lower level with tools like ping, iperf, etc. You could maybe have a faulty network card or a faulty switch/router port.

Jul 15, 2021
Zoiper statistics are baffling, anyway if you look at the CDR information, there is packet loss (I can feel from the audio quality as well). I think something weird is going on, it may be a zoiper specific issue, I tested calling from a zoiper on a laptop to zoiper on a mobile (Device 1) (both in the same LAN) and there was no packet loss, reverse call also didn't have any packet loss.

I have two remote extensions (Device 2 and 3) which log in via a complicated double NAT to the same freeswitch - they are again Android phones and they are using the same version of Zoiper and when they call among themselves, there is no packet loss. When they call the Android Device 1 - there is packet loss at device 1. When device 1 originates a call, to device 2 or device 3, there is no packet loss at device 1 but device 2 and 3 have packet loss.

I suspect it may be some specific configuration in the profile to which device 1 connects - as device 2 and 3 connect to a different profile.

I will debug this and update. Thanks for looking in to this.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021
I think I have figured out, it is most likely due to VAD getting triggered

2021-08-17 22:22:48.731036 [DEBUG] switch_rtp.c:4413 Starting timer [soft] 160 bytes per 20ms 2021-08-17 22:22:48.731036 [DEBUG] switch_rtp.c:8810 Activate VAD codec PCMA 20ms 2021-08-17 22:22:48.731036 [DEBUG] switch_core_media.c:8834 AUDIO RTP Engage VAD for sofia/internal/11@192.168.1.10:43084 ( out )

Fixed it: it was on the profile, was looking at the incorrect profile, VAD was enabled only on outward leg. Thanks once again for spending your time on my query.

Status
Not open for further replies.