Phone system recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solomona

Mar 29, 2023
Hello I am trying to set up 2 things with FusionPBX.

1. I am trying to set up a recovery/ backup server so that if 1 server fails or goes offline (failover) I should automatically send the line and phone that are provisioned to the main one to the second one and I should have all feature (like dial plan extension settings cdr and sip trunks ext) on the backup server and it should automatically know if the phones can’t reach the main server it should go to the second server

2. I would like to make backup locally or on a cloud or even if I need to manually make a backup every few day if it’s possible so if something happens I can always go back using this backup

Thanks everyone for your time and help

Last edited:

jeetz

Oct 15, 2019
Hello I am trying to set up 2 things with FusionPBX.

1. I am trying to set up a recovery/ backup server so that if 1 server fails or goes offline (failover) I should automatically send the line and phone that are provisioned to the main one to the second one and I should have all feature (like dial plan extension settings cdr and sip trunks ext) on the backup server and it should automatically know if the phones can’t reach the main server it should go to the second server

2. I would like to make backup locally or on a cloud or even if I need to manually make a backup every few day if it’s possible so if something happens I can always go back using this backup

Thanks everyone for your time and help
I have this in action, what you need is 2 sip trunks, from one provider. So if 1 goes down the other 2 pbx would kick in action. You would have to tell your sip provider, and primary is offline then all the calls go to the failover.

Then at your end you can play at DNS serve, or simply connect two pbx, 1. being primary and 2 being failover.

And if you want to go more technical, then install bucardo to maintain both machines replica, 1. primary and 2. the failover.

Jeet

reap.virtue

Mar 2, 2023
I have this in action, what you need is 2 sip trunks, from one provider. So if 1 goes down the other 2 pbx would kick in action. You would have to tell your sip provider, and primary is offline then all the calls go to the failover.

Then at your end you can play at DNS serve, or simply connect two pbx, 1. being primary and 2 being failover.

And if you want to go more technical, then install bucardo to maintain both machines replica, 1. primary and 2. the failover.

Jeet
And would both PBX have the same sip credentials or would they be different

jeetz

Oct 15, 2019
Different, on pbx1 it would have abc123 and on pbx2 it would has xyz123.... And if you are going with bucardo then it would have only one sip account, and you would always keep the freeswitch off by service freeswitch stop unless you divert all the traffic on to pbx2, then it would be service freeswitch stop on pbx1.

The downside of bucardo is that it’s single sided, meaning it runs in the primary server. Ideally there would be a replication service that exists on both servers so that if primary has a catastrophic failure and you had to rebuild, that the secondary server (now primary) would have kept up with the state of the database since the failure, but it doesn’t.

There’s the possibility that bucardo can do this and I simply haven’t been able to find the right documentation to support this setup.

I did restart services on bucardo in my dev environment and it never did start back replication and threw no errors. Fun stuff!

glusterfs is the way to go for replicating recordings and voicemail. Open to opposing opinions on this statement.

In my opinion it would make sense in this setup to have a set of smaller servers that hosted Postgres to handle real-time offload of CDR. I just haven’t yet looked for a way to make the pbx log all CDR to a different location. This way if you end up with 5 servers in different geographic locations, you could have a central repo for CDR.

Status
Not open for further replies.