Ping in FusionPBX/FreeSwitch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrian Fretwell

Aug 13, 2017
Not quite sure what you are asking here.

The generally accepted term "ping" is used, as you say, to refer to a layer 3 ICMP protocol message to test round trip connectivity between two end points. There are other types of ping, for example a layer 2 ping sometimes referred to as a MAC ping.

In the SIP protocol, OPTIONS messages and NOTIFY messages are sometimes referred to as pings depending on the context. You may hear people say something like "We use OPTIONS pings to keep the NAT hole open".

Not quite sure what you are asking here.

The generally accepted term "ping" is used, as you say, to refer to a layer 3 ICMP protocol message to test round trip connectivity between two end points. There are other types of ping, for example a layer 2 ping sometimes referred to as a MAC ping.

In the SIP protocol, OPTIONS messages and NOTIFY messages are sometimes referred to as pings depending on the context. You may hear people say something like "We use OPTIONS pings to keep the NAT hole open".

Thank you Adrian for your reply. I think "Ping" as in the screenshot below is referring to SIP protocol; OPTIONS and NOTIFY. Am I right? By the way, under the "Status" column, It stated 'Registered' but what does it mean by '(unknown)' ?

fusionpbx_ping.png

Thank you again ! :)

Alex

Adrian Fretwell

Aug 13, 2017
Alex, first of all, yes this ping is a SIP OPTIONS sent to the endpoint by the Sofia SIP stack.

I'm not sure about the (unknown), I have always assumed it to be a reference to presence status. The information on this Status->Registrations page is gathered from a Freeswitch event socket request. You can get the same information at the fs_cli with:
> sofia status profile internal reg

The event socket call actually uses statusxml but the data is the same.

The reason I made the assumption about (unknown) referring to presence, is because, if I take a user (201:mydomain.com) from my registrations list and use it in the following fs_cli command:
> sofia_presence_data status 201:mydomain.com

Because we seldom use presence, it always seems to return "Unknown".

I may be wrong about the presence thing, but you are safe to ignore the (unknown) in the registration status, it is nothing to worry about.

Alex, first of all, yes this ping is a SIP OPTIONS sent to the endpoint by the Sofia SIP stack.

I'm not sure about the (unknown), I have always assumed it to be a reference to presence status. The information on this Status->Registrations page is gathered from a Freeswitch event socket request. You can get the same information at the fs_cli with:
> sofia status profile internal reg

The event socket call actually uses statusxml but the data is the same.

The reason I made the assumption about (unknown) referring to presence, is because, if I take a user (201:mydomain.com) from my registrations list and use it in the following fs_cli command:
> sofia_presence_data status 201:mydomain.com

Because we seldom use presence, it always seems to return "Unknown".

I may be wrong about the presence thing, but you are safe to ignore the (unknown) in the registration status, it is nothing to worry about.

Thank you Adrian for your explanation! I appreciate it!

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.