Pretty sure this is NAT, but

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwatkins

Apr 16, 2020
Hey all!

I've been digging though my old documentation as well as a bunch of trial & error approaches from stuff I've seen here on the forums, but I'm getting stuck at a point that I guess I need to reach out for some help. I'm really sorry is this is something posted before, haven't seen a post regarding it exactly... but it could be that my search skills suck

Network design:

I've attached a (simplified) network diagram, but I've got a primary domain (mybusiness.com) with a PFSense router assigned a public static IP taking the subdomain office.business.com
FusionPBX is on a dual NIC system with NIC 1 assigned a public static IP and domain name of pbx.mybusiness.com
NIC 2 is assigned an internal LAN IP behind the PFSense router
Internal DNS has a forward zone setup for Business.com, with an entry for pbx.mybusiness.com aliased to the pbx.office.mybusiness.com internal LAN IP

PBX settings:

External SIP Profile -
ext-rtp-ip is set to $${external_rtp_ip}
ext-sip-ip is set to $${external_sip_ip}
rtp-ip is set to $${external_rtp_ip}
sip-ip is set to $${external_rtp_op}

Internal SIP Profile -
ext-rtp-ip is set to $${external_rtp_ip}
ext-sip-ip is set to $${external_sip_ip}
rtp-ip is set to the local LAN IP
sip-ip is set to the local LAN IP also

settings-variables -
external_rtp_ip is set to the public static IP for pbx.mybusiness.com
external_sip_ip is set to the public static IP for pbx.mybusiness.com also

What works -
I've been able to provision phones & register extensions
extension to extension calling & audio passes
DTMF works, extensions are able to access and traverse the voicemail menu
outbound calls work, with a caveat (see below)

What doesn't work -
Outbound calls work, but audio will not pass unless the extension is setup to proxy the media. Bypass & Bypass after bridge will not pass audio
transferring an outbound call will drop the media
I imagine SIP URI inbound calls would work, but where I haven't transferred an inbound number to our trunk yet I haven't tested inbound calls.
extensions registering from outside can't register, I imagine this is a routing issue.... perhaps I'll setup the outside extensions to VPN into the LAN to pickup the internal sip profile since it resides on a different network than the external profile.

I suppose I could take the local LAN connection out of this setup, have the PBX reside completely on the WAN. That would simplify configurations for the PBX, but then wouldn't I still have NAT issues in regards to the individual extensions having to register to the PBX through PFSense? Not to mention I'd have a lot more WAN traffic for each extension needing to reach outside, as opposed to the PBX going out it's self and the local extension traffic internal to the LAN

Any insight & assistance would be appreciated! thanks! :)

Attachments

• pbx.pdf
    206.2 KB · Views: 16

Adrian Fretwell

Aug 13, 2017
My only (tentative) observation would be that as all your phones are on the local LAN, you would want to set both ext-rtp-ip and ext-sip-ip in your internal profile to your local LAN IP. I say this because ext-rtp-ip and ext-sip-ip govern what address is put in the contact headers and in the SDP body.

rwatkins

Apr 16, 2020
So far I haven't seen any difference, same issues occurring in my list of items not working. any further suggestions?
Thanks again for the assistance!!

Status
Not open for further replies.