Proper Order of Configuration Steps

Status
Not open for further replies.

KitchM

Jul 15, 2019
I am finding an issue with a lack of clear direction over what comes first in the configuration of the PBX software. The provider says to start with the truck configuration. Of course there isn't anything named that in FusionPBX like there is in FreePBX, but we don't want to go there.

I would think that entering the info from the service provider would be first, but there is no screen for that. Next would be the phone numbers which would come thru that trunk. After that would be the need to make sure the PBX sees the telephones. Or something like that.

mat1010

Jun 8, 2019
Germany
With truck you mean trunk, right? If so: The trunk will be configured under accounts > gateways. Next would be to configure dialplan > outbound routes to send outgoing calls through the gateway / trunk based on a regex for the external, outgoing, numbers.

Next step would be to configure accounts > extensions and setup dialplan > inbound routes to route incoming calls to those newly created extensions.

KitchM

Jul 15, 2019
Yeah, I must have been subconsciously wishing for a new pickup.

And thanks for that clarification. I am going to use that order and give it a new try.

KitchM

Jul 15, 2019
Bless you, Brother. What a helpful thing to do! I'll look forward to that.

Please just remember to use as low a resolution as you possibly can. That method gives us the highest common denominator.

KitchM

Jul 15, 2019
Okay, it looks like I got the gateway configured because both the PBX and the provider say that it is registered. That sounds good.

I created an extension number 10. Then I fiddled with the incoming and outgoing dialplan settings. Made one of each.

When I try to dial one of my phone numbers from outside the system, I can hear that it is trying to ring, but nothing comes thru the PBX to get an extension ringing.

mat1010

Jun 8, 2019
Germany
Okay, it looks like I got the gateway configured because both the PBX and the provider say that it is registered. That sounds good.

I created an extension number 10. Then I fiddled with the incoming and outgoing dialplan settings. Made one of each.

When I try to dial one of my phone numbers from outside the system, I can hear that it is trying to ring, but nothing comes thru the PBX to get an extension ringing.
How does your inbound route look like? Btw. instead of creating an inbound route manually, you can also do it through destination which will automatically create the inbound route ruleset, I forgot to mention that in my 1st post.

The output of the freeswitch log /var/log/freeswitch/freeswitch.logwith enabled debug logging when you are placing the inbound call would be helpful too. You can enable the logging by running

Code:
# enable debug logging
fs_cli -x "fsctl loglevel debug"
# reset to error logging once done
fs_cli -x "fsctl loglevel err"

mat1010

Jun 8, 2019
Germany
Now, if I only knew what to put in the Destination field.....
The external number of your extension. 00<countrycode>1234567 for example. Or whatever your provider signals. But you can identify by checking the log / the network traffic with sngrep, But you can also lookup the meaning of the field for many ports of the UI in the documentation. For destination it would be this: https://docs.fusionpbx.com/en/latest/dialplan/destinations.html

KitchM

Jul 15, 2019
But that seems crazy. How would I know the outgoing number.....
Oh wait. You mean the number that people on the outside are trying to call into?

mat1010

Jun 8, 2019
Germany
But that seems crazy. How would I know the outgoing number.....
Oh wait. You mean the number that people on the outside are trying to call into?
We were talking about inbound calls until now, right? So usually you have a 1:1 connection to your DID and the internal extension. The DID will be filled into the destination field, the action field will have your extension (10) selected.

For outbound routes you are usually going to add a regular expression which will match for outgoing calls since, like you already said, you can't know exactly which external numbers will be called, but you know how the format of the external number should look like that someone will dial on your pbx and this is where outbound routes come into play.

KitchM

Jul 15, 2019
Then why didn't the darn interface just say what it means. Some help it is if you have to translate destination to mean DID number. Duh! Good heavens.

KitchM

Jul 15, 2019
Okay, got the inbound configured.

Now my phone needs reconfig for some reason. By the way, does Fusion know which brand and model of phone is connected?

KitchM

Jul 15, 2019
@DigitalDaz
Thanks much for the efforts you put forth, Good Buddy. I appreciate it.

But I must let you know that you did the same as others; you created a video that I cannot see because of the tiny details. Since I cannot zoom in on a video, I could barely make out any detail at all.

Then you surprised me by first going to the Advanced menu and selecting Domains. I would think that advanced items are not necessary to get things started, so that left me confused. Even there I did not understand what you were doing because you did not explain the why. Is the domain you selected an internal only one?

I'll try to muddle thru, but wanted you to know. As I said, while I greatly appreciated your efforts, I am still left somewhat confused.

Thanks again.

KitchM

Jul 15, 2019
As promised, I muddled thru. I found your presentation a novel method. It was different from what I expected, and it differs from the flow as implied by the layout of Fusion's GUI. Yes, I do recognize now, as I had assumed prior to this, that the GUI client needs a redesign. It also needs a first time setup script to step the user thru all of these necessary steps.

I will say that I believe the gateway (trunk) can be configured first because the service provider will quickly be able to show the user if the FS is recognized as the target of their service, as mine does. That lays to rest the concern of if there is connectivity thru the Internet.

I appreciated the idea that we can now make incoming and outgoing calls. But that is not quite correct. One must have telephones hooked up and recognized by FS.

KitchM

Jul 15, 2019
Okay everyone. I have it all configured. I verified that the fiber gateway is correctly pass the connection with my provider because they see the PBX as registered FreeSWITCH, and the FusionPBX interface shows the trunk (gateway) as REGED.

So now I have to get my Yealink W60B working with the PBX so my extension phone can dial with it. This is where the blockage exists. I will create a new post for that.

Thank you all for your good help.

markjcrane

Staff member
Jul 22, 2018
" Then you surprised me by first going to the Advanced menu and selecting Domains. I would think that advanced items are not necessary to get things started, so that left me confused. "

KitchM, You are learning a new system that you didn't create and therefore it isn't going to be designed as you expect. The only person that could make it the exactly the way you expect would be you.

Domain management is usually for users in the superadmin group. So Domains are located under the Menu that was built specifically for the superadmin group.

The video has a button on it to expand at or near full screen and then the text is readable.

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
@KitchM You asked for the call flow to be clarified, this video did that, it showed you the flow of calls inbound and the flow of a call outbound. Of course you need to hook up extensions to make it work and of course you need a real carrier on the other end.

Also, not I kept referring to outbound route whilst configuring inbound, that of course should have said inbound, rather than my references to outbound.

Status
Not open for further replies.