Raspberry pi 3 install freeswitch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guydebelam

Jan 8, 2017
Could some one tell me whether it's worth buying a couple of pi 3s and using them as freeswitch servers ?
Each unit will need to have modgsm running to enable calls coming into a sim card and also be able to transcode g711 to opus.
The number of concurrent calls will be minimal.
Already have two older pi2 units running asterisk and chan dongle and am thinking of trying freeswitch out
(Preferably fusionpbx) .
Been warned in the past against it because the olds pi 2 units are not upto running opus transcoding and freeswitch .
Will two new pi 3 units be upto the task ?
Any feedback deeply appreciated.

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
I don't think personally they will. Others may have a different view. I think you just need to get one and give it a try, see if it suits your purpose. The ODROID-C2 has a little more power, I would choose this over a PI3 anyday.

AverageGuy

Jun 18, 2017
Atlanta, GA metro
I don't think personally they will. Others may have a different view. I think you just need to get one and give it a try, see if it suits your purpose. The ODROID-C2 has a little more power, I would choose this over a PI3 anyday.
What power supply do you use for the ODROID? I assume that's what you are running in production.
Thanks,
Jim.

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
2A on the C2 by the looks of things. I had a U3 run a 20 user office for 2.5 years.

OLO

May 5, 2017
Due to less endurance, SD card as system disk might not good idea for production. Better to use SBC with on-board nand. However PC as ip pbx still preferred.

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
Due to less endurance, SD card as system disk might not good idea for production. Better to use SBC with on-board nand. However PC as ip pbx still preferred.

This is debatable now for example the new Samsung A1 cards have a 5 year endurance for constant video recording.

MikeKulls

May 13, 2020

I'm looking for a PI alternative. I'm curious if this is still your opinion? Have you had any issues not running raspbian? All my uses for the PIs so far have not been GUI related (besides web config pages)

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
I think the new Pi4, especially with root on SSD should be fine. I've had no problems in testing with them. Currently Freeswitch does not provide packages for arm64 and they seem to have made it difficult to make the packages. You can compile 64 bit relatively easily, its just how far down the rabbit hole do you want to go :) I've even had SSDs in software raid1 running on the Pi4 without problem. I haven't had my hands on one of these yet but I like the look of this because of the M.2:

Reactions: MikeKulls

MikeKulls

May 13, 2020
I think the new Pi4, especially with root on SSD should be fine. I've had no problems in testing with them. Currently Freeswitch does not provide packages for arm64 and they seem to have made it difficult to make the packages. You can compile 64 bit relatively easily, its just how far down the rabbit hole do you want to go :) I've even had SSDs in software raid1 running on the Pi4 without problem. I haven't had my hands on one of these yet but I like the look of this because of the M.2:

That does look interesting. The one I was looking at was the Banana PI. It has an m.2 socket and supports raspbian apparently. Only 2GB compared to 4G for the PI4

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
That does look interesting. The one I was looking at was the Banana PI. It has an m.2 socket and supports raspbian apparently. Only 2GB compared to 4G for the PI4

2GB should be fine, do you have a link to the Banana Pi you are referring to?

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
The first one looks like you would need an expansion board for the m.2, it looks a bit short. The second one has a USB2 SATA bridge, that's going to be very slow.

MikeKulls

May 13, 2020
The first one looks like you would need an expansion board for the m.2, it looks a bit short. The second one has a USB2 SATA bridge, that's going to be very slow.

Apparently the USB SATA bridge is still quicker than the SD card and give you more reliability potentially. Not that I've ever had SD card issues with a PI. As for the m.2 that is an issue depending on what you want to do with it. I find this is the sort of things you run into with all PI alternatives, there's always a catch of some sort.

MikeKulls

May 13, 2020
I did a bit of research and it appears the Banana PI was a good choice before the PI4 came out. It had 2GB vs 1GB, onboard 8GB eMMC and the m.2 slot. But now the PI4 has a newer processor and double the ram. It looks like the m.2 only supports WiFi cards and the like so I think it has limited use. Only advantage is the onboard eMMC which could be a big plus but not sure if it's enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.