Record call with *2 not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilkBC

Nov 24, 2017
Hello,

I am testing call recording. I saw that on-demand feature code is *2 (which is apparently a toggle). I went into the settings for the extension I am testing with and set "Record" to "All". I then made a test call and while the call was active, pressed *2. I then spoke for about 30 seconds and hung up. I checked "Apps > Call Recordings" but there is nothing there.

I looked in ""Dialplan > Dialplan Manager" and saw that "user_record" existed, but there was no associated number. In the details for "user_record", there was an empty "Condition" line and two "Action" lines.

In the "Condition" line, I added:

Type: destination_number
Data: ^\*2$

and saved. I repeated my test above but there are still no recorded calls.
  1. Should this "condition" line have been blank?
  2. If there is supposed to be something there, what is the correct entry for it supposed ot look like?
Thanks! :)

char1

Dec 27, 2017
Enable bind_digit_action in Dialplan Manager. To record outbound calls edit outbound route adding before bridge
action execute_extension bind_digit_action XML ${context}

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
If the extension is set to record all then there is no reason to mess with the *2, the call should be being recorded anyway.

The *2 would be used without the record all set but by default it is now disabled in the bind_digit dial plan, as mentioned above.

Kenny Riley

Nov 1, 2017
Just to add to this, after you enable the bind_digit_action dialplan, you have to set the order of this dialplan to a number lower than the order of your outbound route.

My outbound routes were set to the order number 100, so I set my bind_digit_action dialplan to 90. This was the step that I was missing and couldn't figure out why on demand recording wasn't working after enabling this dialplan.

cengbrecht

Jun 24, 2018
Enable bind_digit_action in Dialplan Manager. To record outbound calls edit outbound route adding before bridge
action execute_extension bind_digit_action XML ${context}
Ok, I have done these two things, though I don't have the issues Char1 mentioned, it still does not seem to work?

Attachments

• screenshot.32.jpg
    screenshot.32.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 57
  • screenshot.33.jpg
    screenshot.33.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 53

markjcrane

Staff member
Jul 22, 2018
There is a dialplan called bind_digit_action its off by default for security reasons. It needs more testing to be sure it is completely safe. The dialplan I entioned also allows transfer of a call and you don't want the caller to be able to do that. So that is why it is disabled by default.

SilkBC

Nov 24, 2017
The dialplan I entioned also allows transfer of a call and you don't want the caller to be able to do that.

Oooohhh, something similar happened on one of my clients' systems (FreePBX/Asterisk, not FusionPBX -- yet), They had $1,000 or so of long distance rung up on their system over a long weekend and it was due to the people calling in to an extension, getting the VM recording, and from there they were able to dial a feature code to dial out.

Because it is a manual process that has to be done by an actual human, that's why the amount was so low (relatively speaking).

Definitely do not want a caller to be able to do that!

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
In a lot of cases its sheer client stupidity. What they will do is get you to enable this feature and then go and change the default secure password on voicemail to something dumbass like 1234 or the extension number.

Then the attacker can access voicemail and set up forwarding to an expensive destination.

A long time ago, mcrane added a parameter voicemail_authorized=true that can be addet to the default voicemail dialplan.

This allows you to access the *97 voicemail WITHOUT having to key in a password but you can then keep the longer, more secure one for if you need to access it externally.

Status
Not open for further replies.