Selecting a VPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

dv8inpp

Jan 5, 2019
I live in Cambodia so selecting a local VPS provider, although possible is somewhat expensive, like $40/month for a 20GB/2GB dual core machine. So as it's mainly a latency issue I thought I'd look into overseas VPS providers.

Are there any members in a similar situation that can share their experience?

What things should I be looking for in a VPS provider?

ewdpb

Oct 3, 2019
I have found Vultr or Digital Ocean quite reliable at a fair price. I believe either of them have data center all around the globe, so you can probably find one near you.

bryanredeagle

Apr 17, 2019
La Porte, IN
haway.io
I also agree with the others. Vultr, Digital Ocean, and Linode all have a datacenter in Singapore. Digital Ocean and Linode also have locations in India, and Vultr and Linode have locations in Japan.

dv8inpp

Jan 5, 2019
Can any of you share you response time for these servers?
In my test to Vultr Singapore server I am getting 38ms ping time, which should be OK

bryanredeagle

Apr 17, 2019
La Porte, IN
haway.io
For the data center sort of the same distance as Singapore to you, I get about 44ms. I'm a few towns over from my nearest data center, and I get about 15ms. For Singapore, I get about 200-300ms, but I also live in the US.

ewdpb

Oct 3, 2019
Can any of you share you response time for these servers?
In my test to Vultr Singapore server I am getting 38ms ping time, which should be OK

I am getting between about 30 to 40 ms for the nearest one. I have no servers in Singapore datacenter. I run FusionPBX in those with no issues. Well, mine are very small systems of only a couple dozen users. I know some people on this forum run systems for thousands of users. It would be great if some of them could chime in.

dv8inpp

Jan 5, 2019
OK I'm getting 38ms , Signed up for Vultr and installed FusionPBX. Works well . No complaints. But now I need to do it on AWS. Just trying to choose a AWS instance gives me a headache. Currently just in the testing phase to ensure it will run without distortion.

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
My understanding is you can dynamically scale AWS? If so just start with 1 core, 1 gig.

dv8inpp

Jan 5, 2019
Just looking at a AWS instance 2CPU/4GBRAM/EBS looks like it costs about $43/month Compared to Vultr $20/month. What are the advantages that AWS offers?

Kenny Riley

Nov 1, 2017
Vultr is a VPS, AWS are cloud servers.. two totally different things. A VPS is just a physical server or VM running on a single host machine somewhere in a remote datacenter, a cloud server has clustering and redundancy built in where it isn't reliant on one piece of hardware or physical location. With a cloud service like AWS you can scale your machine resources up or down on demand as well -- VPS is limited there.

There are pros and cons to both.. AWS is going to be more reliable due to the infrastructure design, but it's also going to be significantly more expensive than a VPS.

For what it's worth, I can count on one hand how many times there has been a service outage with Vultr in the time I've been using it.

If you're going AWS, go for on demand.

Reactions: bryanredeagle

elkato

Feb 25, 2017
I was using https://lightsail.aws.amazon.com/ for fusion for about 3 months with just light production traffic (beta testers clients :p). Testing BDR cluster fusion between two nodes. Everything was fine, not big issues, except I enabled automatic snapshots (as an extra quick restore point/backup) scheduled 3am. 2-3 times I found fusion was rebooted after/while doing snapshot scheduled time. I found there is no one for support there. Just a "forum" or something like that I read a few people had same issues.

Then I moved to Vultr, regards on the good reads I get from here. I loved the web interface, completely much quicker for doing everyday tasks with VMs, network and more, billing... And have more products/addons than AWS I think. Had first issue on VM resources, opened a support ticket (very accesible here) and was solved in less than 2hs.

In just 5 months I had 2 or 3 I/O disk issues, a network issue I had to claim for 7 times and finally they moved my VM to another "something" and apparently now solved from my side, but continue as today getting emails from them reporting network issues on the zone I have my VMs. I'm monitoring my VMs and didn't noticed anything with with these last report emails, but not feeling confortable with so many incidents. I remain here because I value human quick support, but start thinking going back to Lightsail reliability for the price.

BTW, I'm in New Jersey node in vultr.

jrosetto

Apr 29, 2020
Out of interest do any of these providers allow you to put the VM directly on the public IP so there is no NAT involved? I am currently hosting on Microsoft Azure and while I am happy with the service the double NAT from server to client causes an extra overhead that I would like to remove if possible. I also checked AWS and they seem to require nat as well.

Kenny Riley

Nov 1, 2017
Out of interest do any of these providers allow you to put the VM directly on the public IP so there is no NAT involved? I am currently hosting on Microsoft Azure and while I am happy with the service the double NAT from server to client causes an extra overhead that I would like to remove if possible. I also checked AWS and they seem to require nat as well.

Vultr

Status
Not open for further replies.