Static on Calls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 30, 2018
Hi,

I am having an issue with static noise on calls. It seems to be louder on outbound calls but it is still there on inbound calls as well. The static is not heard on the external side, it is only heard on the VOIP phones. For example, if I call my cell phone from my VOIP phone, listening on the cellphone there is no static, but static is heard on the VOIP phone. I don't think it is an interference issue because it seems to be happening on all phones at multiple sites. I was thinking maybe a carrier issue, I am using AnveoDirect. I am going to sign up with a Skyetel account to send some outbound calls through that just to test to see if it seems to be the carrier.

Does anyone else have any other thoughts on what the cause could be?

Provider: AnveoDirect
Phones: Grandstream phones, mostly 2130s
Ping to server: consistent 20 to 22 ms
Bandwidth: more then enough, one site is 100 down and up and only has 6 phones
Cloud host: Vultr

Thanks

ad5ou

Jun 12, 2018
I have used all of the mentioned equipment/providers without issue. Currently have several old tenants on a vultr host using AnveoDirect.
GXP2130's aren't the best sounding phones and are easy to have issues. You might be overloading your resources on the server. Hard to specify more reasons without more details.

Typically in an all VOIP setup you won't hear true static except when the handset/headset cord has loose connections. Do the phones hear static on internal (extension to extension) calls?

Another handy tool is to save a packet capture from the phone and the server then play back a call via wireshark etc. This will narrow down which side actually has the noise you are hearing.

Jan 30, 2018
Hi,

I do not think the issue is server resources, but maybe I am wrong. I have a dedicated cloud from vultr with the 2 vcores and 8GB of RAM, and I only have around 30 devices registered to the server (my understanding is that is a very small amount).

I also do not think it is a handset/headset cord issue, only because it happens on pretty much every phone. I can try replacing a cord on a phone and see if it helps though.

As for internal dialing, if I listen on my phone to another internal ext I do not hear it, but my hearing is not the greatest. Although another customer mentioned yes it does have static on internal, and one of my techs says she can hear it internally as well.

I will have to work on getting a capture packet to look at and go from there.

Thanks for the input so far.

Adrian Fretwell

Aug 13, 2017
I have no idea what could be causing this at present, my first thought was could it be related to codec transcoding? If you set an extension to call recording all, does the noise show up in the recording?

Andrew Byrd

Feb 16, 2018
I had a client that was complaining about static. Static is an analog issue. Also, I could not hear the static on the recordings. You could only hear it locally on the sip device. I discovered that when the static occurred they were streaming pluto TV. I turned the TV off and the static went away. Short term fix. Long term fix, I isolated the guest wifi from the main network, set a bandwidth limit and connected the TV to the guest network. NO static ever since. Just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.