Three lines on a phone, without three extensions....

Status
Not open for further replies.

simcard

Jan 22, 2017
Hi FPBX brains trust,

Sorry for the poorly worded subject of the thread - read on and it should make sense.

I have a situation I'm looking to bounce off you for some feedback.

Long story short, a customer that we're about to deploy for doesn't want a full blown call centre solution as they only have a few phones, however, they're looking to achieve something akin to call centre behavior.

Essentially, they have a 12 phones which each have their own did/extension and there are two general incoming lines/dids (info & accounts for example). The customer wants the two general dids/lines to ring across different phones, with some phones receiving both types of calls. You'd be thinking a ring-group would do here.

Where it gets tricky is that the customer has a current set-up with a different PBX where they have 3 lines set-up on each handset like;

Line 1: Extension
Line 2: Sales
Line 3: Accounts

What they're looking for is for calls direct to their extension to ring on Line 1, calls in to the sales rung group to ring on Line 2 and calls into the accounts ring group to ring on line 3.

This allows them to easily identify visually through the leds (and audibly through different ring tones) what type of call it is. They're an equal opportunity employer and from time to time expect to have people employed who might have a disability and want the phones to be 'accessible' for lack of a better word.

We've suggested the mod_callcentre, but they don't see the point as they don't get enough calls to warrant queuing calls and above all else, they want the three line set-up as this matches their current configuration and it means less re-training on their part.

I haven't been able to work out how they're doing the 3-line set-up at the moment, although it looks like they could be using 3 extensions per phone and a set of ring-groups, which was the way we'd intended on setting it up.

That, to me, seems the only logical way to achieve this set-up for the customer. I've tried to suggest to the customer different options (to make it easier for us to manage!), but they're just not comfortable in changing the way they do things.

We're happy to set it up with 3-extensions per phone, but it seems like a waste of extensions and we feel like there could be a better way to achieve this setup, however, we're just not seeing it.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how we might achieve something like this in another way?

cheers,

A

SilkBC

Nov 24, 2017
I haven't been able to work out how they're doing the 3-line set-up at the moment, although it looks like they could be using 3 extensions per phone and a set of ring-groups, which was the way we'd intended on setting it up.

That to me seems the only logical way to do it, and was how i was thinking about it before I got to that part of your post. Maybe to make things a bit easier management-wise, is each user has their "primary" extension, the Sales extension gets a '1' appended to it, the Accounts extension gets a '2' appended to it.

For example a user may be setup like:

Line 1: 101
Line 2: 1011
Line 3: 1012

If a user is not part of the Sales and/or Accounts group, they just simply don't get the extra extension(s) that they don't need.

simcard

Jan 22, 2017
Depending on the model of the phones they use, could SLA/BLA/SCA be an option?

I did think about that, however, we'd have to test that scenario as I'm not sure what would happen in the use case where multiple calls would exist (i.e. one on the phone and a subsequent call comes in).

That to me seems the only logical way to do it, and was how i was thinking about it before I got to that part of your post. Maybe to make things a bit easier management-wise, is each user has their "primary" extension, the Sales extension gets a '1' appended to it, the Accounts extension gets a '2' appended to it.

For example a user may be setup like:

Line 1: 101
Line 2: 1011
Line 3: 1012

If a user is not part of the Sales and/or Accounts group, they just simply don't get the extra extension(s) that they don't need.

Yep, that's the method we've gone with currently.

Thanks guys, really appreciate the feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.