Transfer to Voicemail when an extension is busy

Status
Not open for further replies.

geomat

Jul 26, 2019
www.linkedin.com
Hello,

I would like to ask if it is possible when an extension is busy (already talking to the phone) to transfer its incoming calls to its voicemail. Currently, I observed that when an incoming call is received it is directed to the voicemail only when I reject the call (hit the hang-up button).

Thank you in advance,
George

hfoster

Jan 28, 2019
It's dependant on the handset. The feature is called 'Call Waiting' so if you wanted to disable it, on Yealinks for example, change the Default Setting: yealink_call_waiting to 0. Users can often turn this feature off themselves in basic settings on most phones too, as it's a personal preference.

I find the older users like Call Waiting disabled, and the younger users like it enabled.

geomat

Jul 26, 2019
www.linkedin.com
@hfoster thank you very much for your reply.

If I want to implement this feature on my PBX shall I use the limit command in a dialplan? I also tried to set the 'Limit Max' variable in Extensions to 1 but it does not work.

hfoster

Jan 28, 2019
Don't ask me to explain the reasoning, but limit_max variable is only used when you get to the 890 ordered dialplan entry of 'local_extension', so if you had an outbound route at 100 (the default the form sets) then the limit_max variable will never get used. I think, if you change the outbound routes to order>900 then it should work.

I think I would probably apply the following 'limit' to the inbound routes:

hash ${domain_name} ${destination_number} ${limit_max} ${limit_destination}

I think that would work.

It's worth noting, limiting calls like this may have unintended side effects with features like transfers and ad-hoc conferencing so worth testing this out after you've got it how you like.

Personally, I think it's best to just leave it up to the user enabling or disabling it on the phone or via provisioning template.

Reactions: geomat
Status
Not open for further replies.