US-Based Hosted VoIP providers - Who does your Taxation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MammerJammer

Oct 23, 2018
I'm just curious how any of the US-Based providers are calculating their taxation and regulatory fees. There are companies out there like Avalara, just as one example, that assist with tax calculations to ensure VoIP providers stay compliant. I have worked with Avalara in the past and it was atrocious. Cost is high, accuracy is questionable at best and you can never get a yes/no answer from anyone.

Would anyone care to share how you are handling taxation compliance? I'm interested in your particular opinions (facts are welcome too) regarding what obligations you feel apply to VoIP service providers for FCC fees, state and local taxes, USF / TRS / NANPA / LNPA fund contributions, etc. Also, are you managing your own FCC Form 499 filings?

MammerJammer

Oct 23, 2018
wow.. that question was about as popular as stepping in a big pile of dogshit while walking through your yard.

Kenny Riley

Nov 1, 2017
Me personally? We aren't big enough to really give a shit. The FCC doesn't care about small providers enough to even notice. I pay enough taxes as it is... damned if I'm going to unnecessarily pay more.

MammerJammer

Oct 23, 2018
Me personally? We aren't big enough to really give a shit. The FCC doesn't care about small providers enough to even notice. I pay enough taxes as it is... damned if I'm going to unnecessarily pay more.

So can you help me get an idea on what "not big enough" means to you? Can you share roughly how much revenue per month you are bringing in with Hosted VoIP? I guess I wonder where you think that line is where the FCC (but more likely the state tax revenue collectors) will start to give a shit. I just don't want to build $75k/mo. in revenue and then have all these municipalities start piling up "estimated taxes owed" and cripple me.

bdmonsey

Jul 23, 2019
just to add my 2 cents, I have a friend that owns a telecom company not so big at all and was fined with $10k by the FCC, I wouldn't take a chance, it's not worth it.
I pay monthly to my Accountant/Lawyer to review my company info, and does my 499 fillings, if you want some reference PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.