Voicemail to email - MP3 not WAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

MammerJammer

Oct 23, 2018
Ok, so I thought this looked pretty straight forward but I found a few inconsistencies. My intention is to change the voicemail file attachment from the default WAV to a MP3. I am running Debian 9.6, FusionPBX 4.4.3 and FreeSwitch 1.8.2 and I have verified Mod_Shout is running. I have changed the Advanced > Variables > Defaults > record_ext to mp3. When I leave a test voicemail, it still delivers a WAV file.

I have run into some confusion between vm_message_ext and record_ext as to whether these are independent variables, or variables that have changed with new versions. I simply can't find the vm_message_ext variable in my installation. Any clue where to look for my issue?

MammerJammer

Oct 23, 2018
Well hot damn. That fixed it right up, sir. Thank you for the quick reply.

I'm not experienced enough with FusionPBX for it to occur to me that "if it's not there, maybe I'll just add it" yet. Great tip to keep in my hip pocket though.

Would it be correct to assume that the other variable "record_ext" is only relevant to the call recording functionality creating MP3's instead of WAV's? I can see why that might be desirable for storage considerations.

MammerJammer

Oct 23, 2018
My reasoning is compression and codec support. My test message attachments are 1/10th the size as MP3 vs WAV. Plus, when a customer double clicks a MP3 file they have good odds of having MP3 player support compared to fiddling with finding a player for WAV files. We just get fewer support inquiries about MP3s.

Status
Not open for further replies.