What do these registrations mean? No "(NAT)", no outbounds??

Status
Not open for further replies.

5280pbx

Feb 4, 2019
Hola. Attached screenshot

5 phones for new client. The top one is on a different network and works fine. It shows UDP-NAT. (Not sure if "NAT" is what we want to see but it's always there on registered phones that work)

The other 4 phones are on a different network and do not say NAT. All of these phones will not make outbound calls.

Thoughts on issue? We could move these 4 phones to other network but curious what the issue could be?

Thanks!

Attachments

• help.jpg
    help.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 19

Bifur

Sep 13, 2020
What kind of firewall are the 4 behind? It's most likely a network issue on their side

5280pbx

Feb 4, 2019
That I don't know. We recently acquired this business and it's out of state so can't just go there and look, and they don't have a network person per se. That's why I think we'll just move them to the other network. Maybe I can hunt down the firewall login, guess I can try

Bifur

Sep 13, 2020
I'm no expert but you can ash into the server and type fs_cli and it's the freeswitch log. It goes into more detail than the web gui

5280pbx

Feb 4, 2019
The network management company logged in and added the following. Will it work this way? Is doing this through virtual IP's the same as forwarding ports via policies? Also, these 4 phones...they can all make successful outbound's but ONLY to ONE phone number - the company number

Attachments

• ports.jpg
    ports.jpg
    365.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

5280pbx

Feb 4, 2019
What's crazy is, now I can see an extension call an external number but in Active Calls in fusion the destination is 500....????!!!!

Adrian Fretwell

Aug 13, 2017
To answer your original question. When UDP-NAT is shown in the registrations list it means that FreeSWITCH has detected that the phone is behind a NAT. This does not mean that when a registration shows UDP it is not behind a NAT, it just means that the information that the phone has provided within the SIP REGISTER message is consistent with the actual IP address and port that the SIP message came from. In other words, the phone is either not behind a NAT or the phone is sufficiently aware of its NAT situation that it is able to put the correct information in the SIP message that relates to how the phone appears to the outside world. Sorry that is a long paragraph, I hope it makes sense.

When a registration shows UDP-NAT it generally means that the IP address or port (or both) that the SIP REGISTER message came from is not the same as the IP and port specified in the Contact header within the message. This situation also affects the IPs and ports presented in the SDP bodies of INVITES and 200OK etc.

A phone behind a NAT will generally make itself aware of its NAT situation it a NAT traversal aid such as STUN, ICE or TURN is enabled. I have always had success using STUN.

I hope that helps.

Last edited:

5280pbx

Feb 4, 2019
To answer you original question. When UDP-NAT is shown in the registrations list it means that FreeSWITCH has detected that the phone is behind a NAT. This does not mean that when a registration shows UDP it is not behind a NAT, it just means that the information that the phone has provided within the SIP REGISTER message is consistent with the actual IP address and port that the SIP message came from. In other words, the phone is either not behind a NAT or the phone is sufficiently aware of its NAT situation that it is able to put the correct information in the SIP message that relates to how the phone appears to the outside world. Sorry that is a long paragraph, I hope it makes sense.

When a registration shows UDP-NAT it generally means that the IP address or port (or both) that the SIP REGISTER message came from is not the same as the IP and port specified in the Contact header within the message. This situation also affects the IPs and ports presented in the SDP bodies of INVITES and 200OK etc.

A phone behind a NAT will generally make itself aware of its NAT situation it a NAT traversal aid such as STUN, ICE or TURN is enabled. I have always had success using STUN.

I hope that helps.
Good to know, thx!

Status
Not open for further replies.