Where do I post bugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smn

Jul 18, 2017
I found what looks like a legit bug (cannot upload MOH files to default global) but not sure where to post it. Looks like the bug has been there for years. I have an account on fusionpbx.com and there is a place to open tickets. I have posted a few bugs reports there going on years now. They were never responded to and may never even have been read for all I know. Posting on IRC usually just gets a "buy a training plan" response.

The feature to post issues on github is disabled which is another frustration with this project. That would be a very convenient place to post bug reports like I do with many other projects. I have posted pull requests before. Sometimes they get incorporated, sometimes they don't. Sometimes he discontinues the feature after I issue the pull request which I thought was strange. Anyways, not really interested in going down that road again.

Last edited:

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
We used to be able to put issues on Github but the facility was withdrawn in favor of the new thing you see on fusionpbx.com. My understanding is if you are not a paying member, your bug has to be confirmed by someone else before it will be looked into.

Immediately though, the question is what version are you on because the bug, if it is one, could have been fixed already in the latest master.

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
Also....

I'm not sure, but its entirely possible that you are not meant to use the global anymore, instead create a new category and set that as the default.

smn

Jul 18, 2017
Immediately though, the question is what version are you on because the bug, if it is one, could have been fixed already in the latest master.

That is possible as I am on 4.4. Master was too unstable last time I checked and too many changes to try upgrade. So I am stuck on 4.4 for the time being until a new stable branch is posted.

smn

Jul 18, 2017
Also....

I'm not sure, but its entirely possible that you are not meant to use the global anymore, instead create a new category and set that as the default.

On 4.4 that is also true but I think that is a bug otherwise it should not even be possible to attempt to upload to global default and then have it indicate success even though it is not. But a new category is not global. So you have to do that for each domain. At least that is how 4.4 works.

It's too counter-intuitive to claim is as one of those "it's not a bug it's a feature" type things. Or the current design of it should be changed to make the things that don't work impossible to try do in the GUI. Either way it's still a bug imo.

Last edited:

markjcrane

Staff member
Jul 22, 2018
There are only a few people on this 3rd party forum that are helping with bugs or contributing to the code. People will jump in and provide their opinions but answers should be taken with some skepticism because they are from an outsider's perspective. Sometimes those perspectives have some insights and sometimes they are misleading. I don't really like people speaking on my behalf especially when their response not correct. I fix most of the bugs, and pay employees to fix some of them, and a few trickle in as pull requests. If you post bugs here on the forum I might notice a few and fix them. I'll likely notice a few more from IRC and get them fixed.

There are people paying for support logically we have to help them first with the support they are paying for. If we don't do this then we don't have money to be sustainable. There are a lot of support requests some of them difficult and take time to setup for testing. We don't always have enough time left over after at the end of the day. As time permits we work on bugs some of them take a lot of work to reproduce and to get enough details to fix them. I also spend time working to move the project forward. We are trying to build resources so we can increase our speed at providing support, fixing bugs, and improve everything related to the project.

I fix bugs as I come across them. I look through bugs whether people are paid members or not. Support tickets and support calls often prompt work on a bug fix too. Most paying customers are using 4.5.x so its is more stable and actively being fixed. If there is a major bug its fixed quickly. Despite this you will see outsiders often push people to use 4.4. Some do a partial upgrade and then think they have found a bug often they forgot upgrade -> schema or missing a new permission.

If you are a paid member thanks for taking part in helping build resources to improve the project. If you are not please consider the logic of supporting us so we can do a better job supporting you.

Please be patient we will try to get to it as soon as time and resources permit.

Last edited:

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
@markjcrane Who are you talking about when you are referring to people answering on your behalf? I you are talking about me saying bugs needing to be confirmed when reported by non members as this came straight from YOUR STAFF and I know that is why some people have stopped posting bugs at all. AFAIK, nowhere had anyone been told that position was changed.

markjcrane

Staff member
Jul 22, 2018
"bugs needing to be confirmed when reported by non members". I didn't write that response I'll see if I can find it and work to make sure future responses are better. However in regard to that all bugs need to be reproduced or they are not possible to fix. This is true for any bug no matter who submits it.

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
"bugs needing to be confirmed when reported by non members". I didn't write that response I'll see if I can find it and work to make sure future responses are better. However in regard to that all bugs need to be reproduced or they are not possible to fix. This is true for any bug no matter who submits it.

You may not have done but I believe Len did to multiple people.

markjcrane

Staff member
Jul 22, 2018
The only thing questionable that I see in the statement is saying for non members other than that the bugs needs the confirmed is just saying we need to reproduce it which is always true.

Status
Not open for further replies.