Modify Contact header FreeSWITCH

Status
Not open for further replies.

robvandenbulk

Mar 28, 2020
action bridge
{sip_from_uri=sip:YOURNUMBER@PROVIDERIP<YOURNUMBER@PROVIDERIP>}sofia/gateway/a90549ff-ef8f-4472-be52-d3bde6a38768/$1

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
Why would you need to send such a contact header, what is it the reasoning?

The only purpose of the contact header is to tell the remote server how to reach you for inbound calls.

andyclark05251978

Apr 22, 2021
Our 911 carrier is requiring that name be in the contact header. It can't be sent using any other part of the invite, just the contact header.

Adrian Fretwell

Aug 13, 2017
The Contact header is for the benefit of the SIP devices (UAS and UAC) so they know where to send messages. It is NOT for transmitting user identity or CLI information. I would get rid of any carrier that insists on the Contact header being used in this way.

There are many other headers for transmitting identity, to name a few:
Remote-Party-ID:
P-Asserted-Identity:
P-Preferred-Identity:
P-Charge-Info:
P-Source-Device:

For what your carrier is asking, it generally accepted to use the P-Asserted-Identity (PAID) header. PAID is used to transmit authenticated identity information within the “trusted” legs of SIP message transmission, i.e. between you and your carrier. This , for example, allows your carrier to process SIP messages in the context of a known, authenticated user even if the CLI has been withheld, i.e. "anonymous" in the From header.

andyclark05251978

Apr 22, 2021
Thank you Adrian for your suggestion but the issue is how to add contact name to the header not to get rid of any carrier. Hoping someone will be able to help with this issue

Adrian Fretwell

Aug 13, 2017
Thank you Adrian for your suggestion but the issue is how to add contact name to the header not to get rid of any carrier. Hoping someone will be able to help with this issue
I really would not advise anyone to look at modifying the contact header. But if you really need to do this, then you will need to look at the source code for FreeSWITCH for clues. There may be an obscure configuration method that you could use, alternatively, modify the C/C++ code in FreeSWITCH and re-compile.

Status
Not open for further replies.