SIP REFER on externally forwarded call

Status
Not open for further replies.

smeyer

Feb 18, 2021
I am making a new post as I realize I did not fully understand the issue previously (sorry).
Due to STIR/SHAKN and Twilio rules, external transfers like in a call forward scenario, must be initiated in the original inbound SIP dialog. When looking up the proper application, it seems that using "Deflect" SHOULD do that. Now, when I change "call_forward_all" dialplan to deflect instead of transfer, nothing happens. I have attached what my log shows for this action. There is nothing sent in the SIP flow and the call just terminates.
Twilio has a good diagram if someone needs a visual of the proper flow. https://www.twilio.com/docs/sip-trunking/call-transfer

Attachments

• deflect.png
    deflect.png
    68.8 KB · Views: 7

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
Freeswitch is a B2BUA, you shouldn't be needing to use refer at carrier level. The call forwarding is done within the PBX so the forward is just like a regular external call.

smeyer

Feb 18, 2021
Freeswitch is a B2BUA, you shouldn't be needing to use refer at carrier level. The call forwarding is done within the PBX so the forward is just like a regular external call.
New regulations as well as a few carriers do not let you send an outbound call w/o the CID being verified. So if you want to forward externally and maintain the callee CID, you must use a refer. There are several other companies including bandwidth that have not moved but will be enacting this.

Adrian Fretwell

Aug 13, 2017
Many carriers will not accept REFER. We always respond to a REFER method with 405 "Method Not Allowed". The B2BUA is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.