Yet Another Homer Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starblazer

Nov 3, 2018
So.... I'm tasked myself into setting up homer.

Yes, I know sngrep works.

I've got an elasticsearch set up with molo.ch (private network) for more basic packet searching, but I like the interface homer7 has with the ladder.
No, I don't really feel like paying for the price for Voipmonitor right now.
Yes, I want the ability for others to be able to VPN into the private network and search log files+SIP call ladder using a nice web interface.

I've checked the following theads:
https://www.pbxforums.com/threads/homer-halp.1203/
https://www.pbxforums.com/threads/h...to-monitor-sip-in-realtime-without-homer.963/

I've edited:
/etc/freeswitch/autoload_configs/sofia.conf.xml
/usr/share/freeswitch/scripts/app/xml_handler/resources/scripts/configuration/sofia.conf.lua

in the LUA file, I uncommented the sip-capture and then added
Code:
                        table.insert(xml, [[                            <param name="capture-server" value="udp:internal.ip.here:9060;hep=3;capture_id=100"/>]]);

I know my homer instance works because I have captagent on the same box and it works just fine, other than it doesn't marry the legs. I'm hoping that if I get FS to dump it directly to homer, it will make it easier to marry.

Starblazer

Nov 3, 2018
Really? They changed it in 1.6 to support HEP3, which is the most recent protocol version.

having said that, do you have any other suggestions that would meet my requirements of web-based VoIP debugging like Homer?

JamesBorne

Jan 24, 2019
Australia
Had a look at Homer.
From what I saw, it really added nothing onto what sngrep already can do and see.

I guess if you left it running and monitoring it would be handy to go back and have a look.

smn

Jul 18, 2017
Homer feels too much like abandonware to me. Found too many little issues. Lots of those issues could be easily fixed but nobody seems to want to do it.

Someone is updating the README.md file and that's about it.

Last edited:

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
I had a shed load of issues with homer, it may be better now. Particularly TCP was a problem and the resources it guzzles up is unreal, plus you have to ship all that data to it. @Ian Oakes rotating does a great job.

Ian Oakes

Oct 14, 2016
@JamesBorne if you check the second link in OP, you can have a historical record of calls for a period of your choosing. Homer is a fun toy, but too many moving parts, problems, etc to continue to bother with it. Have been doing this for a couple of years and its rock solid and has never failed me, save for when I stopped the original capture for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.