softphone recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrjoli021

Jul 20, 2017
I have a client that is looking to get a couple of soft phones. They would like to be able to do some type of collaboration on it (primarily chat). What would be the recommended solution for this? I would prefer something open source, but does not have to be.

thanks,

Kenny Riley

Nov 1, 2017
There are very few free softphone clients out there that include business features such as call transfer. As far as open source options, check out Jitsi or Blink.

ad5ou

Jun 12, 2018
The default settings with QR code isn’t the greatest with GSWave. I have found changing to TCP, and lowering registration time helps.

Acrobits Groundwire isn’t free but works very well when used with push notifications

Kenny Riley

Nov 1, 2017
I find GSWave often loses registration so for free I use Zoiper, otherwise Bria.

I have found the exact same and have personally lost at least 5 customers due to the unreliability of the GSWave app. Even setting the transmission to TCP and lowering the registration time to 2 minutes still does not help. For whatever reason it almost seems like the app times out after a period of inactivity and the only way to re-establish registration is to relaunch the GSWave app.

I will take a look at Zoiper..It would be even more ideal to find something that can be white labeled. Anyone have any recommendations?

Last edited:

marco114

Jun 23, 2019
Winston Salem, NC
www.falconinternet.net
anyone have a problem with Bria not working since iOS 10.3 came out? It used to work flawlessly, i didn't change anything in my FusionPBX config, just updated and now the Bria Extension goes directly to voicemail when calling from a deskphone. The Bria Phone can make a call no problem, just does not receive. Any ideas where to trouble shoot? I have tested with the App open on my phone and closed. Even the "test push notification" says it works, but the phone never seems to receive one.

This also stopped working on 3 other customers, same FusionPBX Server.

InTeleSync

Feb 9, 2020
www.intelesync.com
For GWave, would not lowering Session Expiration and Min-SE in Account Settings -> FusionPBX Acct -> Session Expiration Settings help? Also Account Settings -> FusionPBX Acct -> Register Expiration.

Since apps such as this would primarily be used across mobile networks, seems to me you'll want lower values here as you'll bounce from network to network often.

bittygroom

Apr 8, 2019
I have found thatsome of these mobile softphones may have carrier restrictions as well. Both gswave and zoiper will only connect if my iphone is connected to wifi. As soon as i leave wifi i lose connection to the server. Carrier = T-Mobile.

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
Zoiper so far is the best for me and you can also provision it with QR code. I also recommend you always buy the push server option which is about $10 a year.

Feb 8, 2018
Zoiper so far is the best for me and you can also provision it with QR code. I also recommend you always buy the push server option which is about $10 a year.

The push addon is almost mandatory to avoid to consume phone battery and to be sure to receive calls in affordable way.

Jan 9, 2018
I know this is an old thread, but I thought I would throw in my $0.02:
GS Wave (now renamed as Wave Lite) was doing the disconnect when leaving WiFi, until I realized that there is a "WiFi only" setting under advanced settings. I believe that it defaults to "on".
Acrobits Groundwire is, so far, our go-to. It has the push notifications like Zoiper, but only the one-time fee, not an annual one. At least with our customer base, this is a pain point. The biggest downside is no QR provisioning (at least I haven't found a way). We've had a few issues on recent Android phones with the way that Android is handling the push notifications (doesn't always light up the screen), but in general, it's been the most solid.
As with any mobile softphone, it's always going to be subject to your data connection quality, so for some customers, we're just doing inbound to their cell number (with confirm) and letting them use the softphone for outbound when they know they have a good connection. So if you do this, GS Wave is likely sufficient.

Reactions: FunkStar

arroinie

Sep 18, 2020
Ireland
ringotel.co
I'm working in a company that developed a softphone integration, so I'd be biased with my answer. Nevertheless, as you've mentioned that your client needs collaboration, I'd suggest you try Ringotel Shell as it stands out from other softphone solutions providing advanced collaboration capabilities, like personal and groups chats, public channels, files/photo/audio messages/location sharing, video calls, etc. It is also focused on security encrypting chats, files and calls, registration via QR codes and much more. Our service is subscription-based, but it includes all the features out-of-the-box, as well as iOS, Android, Mac, Linux and Windows apps, and great customer support!

Status
Not open for further replies.